- Download 490
- File Size 290.14 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date June 30, 2020
- Last Updated June 30, 2020
PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS AND SECURITY GUARDS (CONTROL)ACT
Acts 23/1977, 37/1977 (s. 30), 8/1988 (s. 164), 22/2001 (s. 4).
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS PART I
- Short title.
- Meaning of “private investigator”.
- Meaning of “security guard”.
- Appointment of Controller of Private Investigators and Security Guards.
- Private investigators to be licensed.
- Application for, and issue or renewal of, private investigators licences.
- Licensed private investigators to show certain information on publications, documents and letters.
- Licensed private investigators to open and keep trust accounts.
- Licensed private investigators to render accounts to clients.
- Duration and cancellation of private investigators licences.
- Security guards to be licensed.
- Application for, and issue or renewal of, security guards licences.
- Persons not to act as directors or partners of certain licensed security guards without approval of Controller.
- Duration and cancellation of security guards licence.
RESPONSIBLEEMPLOYEESOF PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS
- Responsible employees of private investigators to hold certificates of approval.
- Application for, and issue or renewal of, certificates of approval.
- Temporary permission to engage responsible employees.
- Changes of employment by holders of certificates of approval to be notified.
- Duration and cancellation or suspension of certificates of approval.
- Statements by Controller.
- Appeals from decisions of Controller.
- Duties of holders of licences and others.
- Restrictions on activities of holders of licences and certificates of approval.
- Holders of licences and others to report certain offences to police.
- Criminal responsibility of holders of licences for certain offences by agents or employees.
- Licences and certificates of approval not to confer powers on holders thereof.
Matters in respect of which Minister may make regulations.
AN ACT to provide for the appointment of a Controller of Private Investigators and Security Guards; for the licensing and certain duties of private investigators and security guards; for the approval and certain duties of, and temporary permission to engage, certain employees of private investigators; and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto.
[Date of commencement: 1st May, 1978.]
1 Short title
This Act may be cited as the Private Investigators and Security Guards (Control) Act [Chapter 27:10].
(1) In this Act—
“assessor” means a person employed by an insurer or insured to determine any loss under a policy of insurance;
“auditor” means a person who is registered as a public auditor in terms of the Public Accountants and Auditors Act [Chapter 27:12];
“bank” means a person who is registered as a commercial bank or accepting house in terms of the Banking Act [Chapter 24:01];
“certificate of approval” means a certificate of approval issued or renewed in terms of subsection (2) of sectionseventeen;
“claims adjuster” means a person who investigates— (a) claims for personal injury or property damage; or
(b) complaints of unsatisfactory service, damaged or defective merchandise received or improper
“Controller” means the Controller of Private Investigators and Security Guards appointed in terms of section
“company” means a company registered in terms of the Companies Act [Chapter 24:03];
“credit bureau” means any person who, for a fee, levy or subscription, supplies—
- in the case of a person who is a body of persons, to any member of such body or to any subscriber to the service provided by such body; or
- in the case of a person who is not a body of persons, to any subscriber to the service provided by such person;
but to no other person, information relating to the financial position of any person;
“debt-collecting agency” means any person who for reward recovers or attempts to recover for another person any money owing to the other person by a third person;
“designated association” means an association of private investigators or security guards designated in terms of subsection (2);
“identity card” means an identity card referred to in subsection (4) of section twenty-three;
“insurer” means a person registered as an insurer in terms of the Insurance Act [Chapter 24:07];
“licence” means a private investigators licence or a security guards licence;
Am looking for information on how to register as a Private Investigator and Security Guards